Workyard is a next generation employment and human resources company tailored specifically to the construction and property maintenance industries. We’ve built an all-in-one solution for hiring and workforce management which is being utilized by companies of all sizes. Here is a video overview:
The purpose of this blog post is to dig into the components of the Workyard solution and understand how they can help your business.
- The Workyard Way: A construction hiring process that drives successful outcomes
- Better Workforce Management through leading technology and dedicated humans
- Common use cases of Workyard
The Workyard Way: A construction hiring process that drives successful outcomes
So what does the Workyard Way mean? It means we take an incredibly rigorous approach to hiring — only hiring 1-3% of candidates. According to a recent survey by The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), construction firms’ biggest concern for 2020 is worker quality. Fortunately, we’ve designed the Workyard hiring framework specifically around that concern. In fact, it’s harder to get a job at Workyard than it is to get into Harvard University (Source: Wall Street Journal).
It’s worth noting that we understand that hiring an electrician is much different than hiring a carpenter, and we have a specific interview process that we follow for each trade. Currently, we cover 10 trades and staff for a variety of skill levels, from apprentices to foreman. Here is more information about our hiring process.
The Workyard Way:
- Collecting job requirements: For every job opening that we take on from our clients, we take the time to understand the specific requirements. This includes level of experience, technical skills such as blueprint reading or proven ability to build stairs, soft skills or leadership skills and other important details. Here is an example job posting for a client.
- Sourcing: Workyard has an existing network of skilled workers, and we’re constantly adding new workers. We have an app for contacting workers in our network about new job opportunities.
- Screening applications, profiles, and reviews: Worker profiles with ratings and reviews from past employers on our platform help us screen out the highest quality workers to match your needs. For workers who are new to our network, we establish a profile and enable them to build credibility.
- Vetting: Our specialized construction recruiters will personally interview every worker that passes initial screening to verify that their experience and skills are a fit for your specific role.
- Reference checks: We conduct reference checks with past supervisors to verify experience and performance. We do not make hires without performing reference checks and believe they’re incredibly valuable to driving successful outcomes.
- Background checks: We run national and county criminal checks, global watchlist, sex offender, SSN, and address traces for every hire we make.
- W-2 onboarding & I9 verification: We ensure each worker has the proper documents for I9 verification, collect W-4s and details for delivering paychecks – the whole nine yards.
As you can see, all you have to worry about is telling us how many workers you need and what skills are required. We take care of sourcing, hiring, HR, payroll, and workers’ compensation.
What are you waiting for? Make a key hire and keep growing your crew with Workyard.
Better Workforce Management through leading technology and dedicated humans
Workyard makes managing time, payroll, insurance, and HR compliance a breeze. It’s the solution for basically everything that happens after a worker is hired, and it makes workforce management incredibly simple for you as a business owner.
Before we dig into the nuts and bolts of the Workyard Solution, let’s lay out some of the key business problems that it solves.
Saves you time and money
Construction companies have to run payroll and carry workers’ compensation (at least in California) but that doesn’t mean they have to spend precious time managing them.
If your company is large enough to have people on staff to manage payroll and insurance, then you might not be spending your personal time, but you are still spending money on personnel. If you don’t have employees on staff to manage human resources, then you specifically know the pain of spending time on non-revenue generating activities.
According to Entrepreneur Magazine, small business owners can spend up to 40% of their time on human resource management tasks. So what if you could save money and time by using a third party solution?
An integrated, easy-to-use technology solution
Another major concern of construction companies is adapting technology to improve operations, drive down costs, and get an edge on competition (or at least keep up).
According to the previously cited AGC survey, 61% of construction companies plan to use mobile technology for employee time tracking and approval; 68% of firms plan to use tech for daily field reports. The third most cited issue, communication between field and office, is also worth noting.
Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to implement new technology for your business and train your workforce on how to use it. At Workyard, we understand this and have built our workforce management solution so that it’s easy to understand and implement. We will also help you to get it set up and be there to support you along the way.
Peace of mind
As mentioned, we are there to support your business. Since we are a specialized provider of worker management solutions for the construction industry, we know how to remain compliant and avoid common pitfalls.
Components of the Workyard’s Workforce Management Solution:
- The Workyard Crew App: Track time and understand your labor costs
- Automated payroll processing
- Workers’ compensation coverage and claims processing
- Dedicated human resources representative
- W-2 onboardings and terminations
- Easily manage your entire hourly workforce
The Workyard Crew App: Track time and understand your labor costs
The Crew App makes it easy for companies to track their workers’ hours and location while they are on the clock. It also comes with powerful admin features such one-click approvals, automatic labor code costing, overtime monitoring, and site updates.
- Mobile time clock: Workers can easily clock in/out and submit their time for approval on their own device.
- GPS tracking: Our GPS technology tracks sites visited and driving routes between each work site. Before you approve a timecard, you can see all the sites a worker visited while they were on the clock – ensuring worker accountability and providing a visual mapping and itinerary of their work day.
- Approvals: Supervisors can view, edit, and approve timecards from their mobile device or computer. If all the pending time cards look right, you are able to approve them all in one click or tap.
- Automatic labor code costing: Our GPS tracking technology enables automatic labor code costing – making it easy to allocate labor costs to each of your work sites. You can create a geo-fence around your work sites and workers will automatically be allocated to that site when they enter it.
- Overtime monitoring: Overtime is automatically calculated based on state regulations and instantly visible on every time card.
- Site updates: Workers can share notes and photo updates with your office from their mobile devices. The notes are automatically attached to their time card for the day, helping to keep things organized.
Automated payroll processing
After you approve time cards, they are automatically fed into our payroll processing system at the end of each pay period — ensuring your workers are accurately paid on time, every time. Learn about other payroll benefits here such as flexible worker payment options and prevailing wage capability.
Workers’ compensation coverage and claims processing
Workers’ comp covers medical expenses and replacement wages when workers are injured on the job. Workyard enables pay-as-you-go coverage meaning you pay less insurance overheads and are only paying for it when your workers are actually working.
Furthermore, we ensure you are getting a fair price for workers’ compensation, regardless of your company’s size, as we have the buying power of a large company.
What happens when a worker is injured on the job site? We keep emergency contact information on file and know how to handle workers’ comp claims when they arise. We take care to gather the proper documentation for the claim and communicate with the worker to get them the medical care they need.
Dedicated human resources representative
Whenever they need it, our customers have access to a dedicated HR representative who is available to answer questions. We take pride in our customer service and understand you are trusting us with critical business operations. Our HR representatives are well-trained, and it shows in our industry leading Net Promoter Score (NPS).
W-2 onboardings and terminations
We ensure employees are properly documented as W-2 employees and have the appropriate right to work documentation on file (I-9 and W-4). When terminations happen, we ensure the worker is issued their final paycheck in the time and manner dictated by law. Our solution helps your company to be compliant with Assembly Bill 5 (AB 5) in California.
Easily manage your entire hourly workforce
Whether you hired someone through Workyard or on your own, you can have them use Workyard Crew and let us handle your payroll. You can focus on running and growing your business while we take care of all the HR admin and compliance work.
Workyard is an affordable way to manage your hourly workforce, all in one place.
Common use cases of Workyard
The Workyard hiring and workforce management solution contains many components that solve a multitude of problems. Here are some common use cases:
- I don’t have time to interview candidates
- I can’t find qualified workers
- I need to significantly grow my workforce
- I’m looking for a hiring partner that I can reach out to whenever I need to hire
Workforce Management (Time tracking, payroll, and insurance):
- I want someone else to handle my HR as I’m worried about employment law and compliance
- I’m paying too much for payroll processing
- I want to make sure my payroll taxes are correct
- I want to do prevailing wage work
- I’d like to better understand my labor costs
- I want to outsource my HR and focus on growing my business